Medical Technologist Senior Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose of Classification:
Performs serological, bacteriological, biochemical, hematological
and microbiological laboratory examinations and tests for use in
treatment and diagnosis of disease.
second in a series of three classifications and is distinguished
from the Medical Technologist in that incumbents work under very
little supervision and plan, develop and write procedures for the
laboratory tests. Incumbents have authority to determine which
products to use and often perform the more difficult tests in the
laboratory and may lead and/or supervise the work of others.
Incumbents are required to work with bio-hazardous material.
Examples of Duties:
- May supervise and coordinate the work activities of
- Performs a variety of determinations on different bodily
fluids; confirms and verifies test results and reports findings
- Plans, develops, and formulates procedures for the
- Determines which products and techniques to use, ensuring
they are the most modern and cost effective procedures.
- Performs and reviews quality controls on testing and decides
if results are within acceptable ranges; researches problems and
- Inventories and requisitions laboratory supplies.
- Provides technical support to other Medical Technologists
and Clinicians through recommendations of appropriate therapy or
- Operates, calibrates, and conducts performance checks on
clinical laboratory equipment.
- Collects body fluids and materials such as urine, blood, and
- Advises clinicians and other health care providers on proper
method of collecting specimens.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of the principles, methods, materials, equipment,
and techniques of medical technology.
- Skill in coordinating the work of others.
- Skill in both verbal and written communication.
Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university in
Medical Technology or related area of specialty AND two years
experience as a Medical Technologist; OR, Any equivalent combination
of experience and/or education from which comparable knowledge,
skills and abilities have been achieved. Certification/registration
as a Medical Technologist is required.
Next: Medical Transcriber Job Description