Medical Technologist Chief Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose of Classification:
Supervises and coordinates activities of Medical Technologists
engaged in performing serological, microbiological, bacteriological,
biochemical, and hematological tests to obtain data for use in
diagnosis and treatment of disease.
third in a series of three classifications and is distinguished from
the Medical Technologist Senior in that incumbents are supervisors
and the majority of time spent is on management and supervision.
Incumbents typically report to Assistant Director of Student Health.
Incumbents are required to work with bio-hazardous material.
Examples of Duties:
- Hires, coaches, reviews, supervises, and terminates assigned
employees, or makes effective suggestions and recommendations
that are given particular weight regarding the employment status
of assigned employees.
- Develops and/or modifies existing procedures and policies
for the operation of the laboratory.
- Develops and implements quality control systems for testing;
ensures continued compliance with licensing requirements.
- Performs daily work of staff supervised such as clinical
- Maintains inventory for the laboratory and orders supplies
and materials from vendors.
- Ensures timely reporting of test results to clinical staff
and assists clinical staff in interpretation of results, as
- Assists in the preparation and management of the laboratory
- Maintains, adjusts, and makes minor repairs to laboratory
instruments and equipment.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of supervisory practices and principles.
- Knowledge of the principles, practices, and techniques of
advanced medical laboratory work.
- Skill in prioritizing and coordinating section activities in
relationship to departmental functions.
- Skill in both verbal and written communication.
Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university in
Medical Technology or area of specialty AND four years of experience
as a Medical Technologist, which includes two years at the Medical
Technologist, Senior level or two years of supervisory experience;
OR, Any equivalent combination of experience and/or education from
which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved.
Certification/registration as a Medical Technologist is required.
Next: Medical Technologist Senior Job Description