Medical Assistant Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose of Classification:
Physicians, Nurse Practitioners and Nurses in the examination and
treatment of clients at the Student Health Center. The majority of
duties performed are in client rooms and medically related.
a specialized class and not part of a series.
Examples of Duties:
- Interviews clients to obtain health history and checks
pulse, temperature, blood pressure, weight, height, vision and
hearing and records on client’s chart.
- Assists clinicians in therapeutic procedures such as
dressing wounds and applying and removing casts.
- Inventories and requisitions supplies.
- Assists clinicians with exams and minor surgeries; prepares
treatment room, ensuring that all instruments and supplies are
- Enters client charges and updates student vaccination
information on computer.
- Provides training and work direction to student assistants.
- Answers telephone providing routine information to caller
and routing difficult questions to clinicians.
- Administers electrocardiograms, attaching electrodes to
specified areas of client's body and turning machine to on
- Sterilizes and cleans instruments used in examinations
and/or surgeries; maintains clean and hygienic environment.
- Schedules appointment for clinicians.
- Processes visit encounter records and maintains designated
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of medical terminology.
- Skill in both verbal and written communication.
Completion of a Medical Assistant program; OR, One year of medical
assistant experience; OR, Any equivalent combination of experience
and/or education from which comparable knowledge, skills and
abilities have been achieved.
Next: Medical Laboratory Technician Job Description