Mechanical Engineer Senior Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose of Classification:
Designs, develops, fabricates, modifies, installs and/or tests
mechanical or electromechanical systems such as instruments,
controls, engines, machines and/or mechanical, thermal, hydraulic or
heat transfer systems involved in the "cutting edge" of scientific
research and/or acts as project leader in the engineering phase of a
project providing professional direction and coordination to other
engineers and technicians.
fourth in a series of four classifications and is distinguished from
the Mechanical Engineer level in that incumbentís work fairly
independently from broad objectives. Incumbents apply intensive and
diversified knowledge of engineering principles and practices and
make decisions independently on engineering problems and methods.
This classification requires the use of advanced techniques and the
modification of theories.
Examples of Duties:
- May supervise and/or coordinate the work activities of
- Plans and designs or manages the design of mechanical
systems components, or equipment.
- Confers with faculty researchers and/or Engineers to define
broad research objectives and ascertain the nature of complex
- Oversees the analysis or analyzes research problems,
requirements and objectives; organizes and manages the adoption
of engineering principles in the solution of problems for the
development of new techniques, instrumentation, and/or
- Directs and coordinates construction, testing, and
installation activities to ensure conformance to engineering
design and specifications.
- Coordinates operation, maintenance, and repair activities to
maintain optimum utilization of equipment or system.
- Provides design concepts and oversees design by consulting
Architects and/or Engineers; recommends design modifications or
alterations as required.
- Manages budgets, staffing, and cost control for each
- Writes research papers on projects for publication and
presents papers at conferences.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of engineering principles and procedures.
- Knowledge of design applications.
- Knowledge of supervisory practices and principles.
- Knowledge of mechanical equipment and systems.
- Skill in engineering design applications.
- Skill in applying engineering principles and procedures.
- Skill in both verbal and written communication.
Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering or related field AND
five years ofmechancial engineering related experience; OR, Nine
years of mechanical engineering or related experience; OR, Any
equivalent combination of experience and/or education from which
comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved.
Registration as an Engineer for the State of Arizona or proof of
eligibility for reciprocity is required.
Next: Mechanician Job Description