Mechanical Engineer Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose of Classification:
Designs, develops, fabricates, modifies, installs, and/or tests
mechanical or electromechanical systems such as instruments,
controls, engines, machines and/or mechanical, thermal, hydraulic,
or heat transfer systems for a part of a major project or for a
total project of moderate scope.
third in a series of four classifications and is distinguished from
the second level in that incumbents deal with a variety of complex
features such as conflicting design requirements, unsuitability of
standard materials, and difficult coordination requirements.
Incumbents in this level are fully competent engineers in all
conventional aspects of the subject matter or the functional area of
the assignment and devise new approaches to problems encountered.
Work requires a broad knowledge of precedents in the specialty area
and a good working knowledge of principles and practices of related
Examples of Duties:
- Designs mechanical systems and components, which includes
selecting or designing all drive components to be included in
mechanism, estimating load and load factor on mechanism, and
designing load bearing structures in the mechanism.
- Performs engineering calculations and analysis by calculator
or computer to solve engineering problems.
- Oversees the design or develops engineering drawings
including plans and specifications based on calculations;
reviews, interprets and revises engineering drawings.
- Requisitions components and supplies for engineering
projects, interfacing with vendors to obtain price and product
- Estimates budget for each project including cost of
personnel and materials.
- Oversees and/or performs the fabrication of experimental
- Coordinates the troubleshooting and repair of equipment
and/or performs testing and troubleshooting of experimental
equipment and systems and performs repairs, modifications or
adjustments to eliminate malfunctions.
- Performs research and writes technical reports and
- Coordinates with other project group members, other
Engineers and/or supervisor on mechanical design problems.
- Trains faculty, staff and students in the operation of
- May supervise and/or coordinate the work activities of
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of engineering principles and procedures.
- Knowledge of design applications.
- Knowledge of mechanical equipment and systems.
- Skill in applying engineering principles and procedures.
- Skill in engineering design applications.
- Skill in both verbal and written communication.
Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering or related field AND
four years of mechanical engineering or related experience; OR,
Eight years of mechanical engineering or related experience; OR, Any
equivalent combination of experience and/or education from which
comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved.
Registration as an Engineer with the State of Arizona or proof of
eligibility for reciprocity is required.
Next: Mechanical Engineer Assistant Job Description