Materials Manager Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose of Classification:
leads, controls and organizes the staff and activities of a central
warehouse/stores operation. Manages and coordinates all units of the
sixth in a series of six classifications. It is distinguished from
the Materials Handling Supervisor, Senior in that incumbents in this
classification exercise control over an entire warehouse/stores
operation and typically have Materials Handling Supervisors and
Supervisor, Seniors as subordinates.
Examples of Duties:
- Supervises activities of subordinates.
- Plans and administers department budget.
- Plans and schedules tasks over short and long range periods
and assigns priorities for completion.
- Determines and administers policies and procedures relating
to shipping/receiving and storage of a variety of equipment,
supplies and materials.
- Serves as a liaison for the area to university department
and outside vendors in resolving conflicts.
- Prepares and maintains a variety of financial and
merchandising records and reports.
- Recommends major equipment and material purchases to
- Ensures subordinate compliance with established safety
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of supervisory practices and principles.
- Knowledge of management and distribution for a major
- Skill in both verbal and written communication.
- Skill in developing and maintaining effective working
years of shipping/receiving/stores experience which includes two
years' supervisory experience; OR, Associate's degree in Business
Administration AND six years of shipping/receiving/stores experience
which includes two years' supervisory experience; OR, Bachelor's
degree in Business Administration AND four years of
shipping/receiving/stores experience which includes two years'
supervisory experience; OR, Any equivalent combination of experience
and/or education from which comparable knowledge, skills and
abilities have been achieved.
Next: Materials Supply Controller Job Description