Marketing Specialist Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose of Classification:
Coordinates and oversees marketing operations for public events held
at university facility(s) or various university programs or of
scholarly and general trade books. Promotes community awareness of
events and programs and fosters community relations. Supervises work
of subordinate support personnel.
third in a series of three classifications and typically reports to
the Director level.
Examples of Duties:
- Supervises activities of subordinates.
- Plans and implements ongoing mass marketing or programs for
university facility(s) or various university programs in
conformity with organizational goals and objectives.
- Prepares or oversees the preparation of a master
calendar/schedule of events or classes for use in advertising;
obtains advertisers and negotiates advertisement rates.
- Works through vendors and contractors to coordinate media
placement and printing of various brochures, articles and
schedules; coordinates distribution of printed material.
- Determines target markets to expand audience base; decides
how target market will be reached such as use of direct mailings
and/or print, television or radio advertisements.
- Edits, takes photos and determines layout of promotional and
informational materials including brochures, flyers, slides,
presentations, press releases and feature articles; oversees
production of materials.
- Tracks ticket sales, book sales or enrollment in programs in
order to monitor advertising effectiveness.
- Develops and implements group sales programs; develops
corporate sponsors for events, special programs and support
- Attends events in order to interact with public and respond
to minor problems and/or questions.
- Develops and coordinates marketing research; implements in
house surveys on university and community wide basis; develops
and/or participates with supervisor in development of long range
- Markets books to individuals, libraries, wholesales,
bookstores, other retail outlets and government agencies.
- Makes annual forecast of book sales, recommending pricing
and press runs, assembles information and recommends reprint
decisions for books on backlist.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of marketing practices and principles.
- Knowledge of media placement and graphic design concepts.
- Knowledge of supervisory practices and principles.
- Skill in both verbal and written communication.
Bachelor's degree in Marketing, Communications or related field AND
two years experience in development of comprehensive marketing
plans; OR, Six years experience in the development of comprehensive
marketing plans; OR, Any equivalent combination of experience and/or
education from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have
Next: Marketing Specialist Assistant Job Description