Maintenance Inspector Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose of Classification:
Inspects mechanical, electrical, and plumbing equipment for planned
maintenance. This is a journey-level classification.
a specialized classification and not part of a series.Working
conditions include inadequate lighting, restricted movement, dirty
environment, air contamination, extreme temperatures, intense noise,
hazardous materials, lifts or carries heavy objects.
Examples of Duties:
- Performs scheduled visual inspections of indicated equipment
in University buildings.
- Records all corrective action required for planned
- Inspects and notes quality of maintenance performed.
- Conducts spot checks on serviced equipment to verify work
- Inventories and tags newly added and replacement equipment.
- Reviews architectural and shop drawings for location of
mechanical, electrical, and plumbing equipment and systems in
- Prepares and issues emergency maintenance instructions to
- Inspects newly installed equipment for compliance and
adherence to plans and specifications.
- Inspects wells, pools, humidifiers, and cooling towers for
required chemical water treatment.
- Conducts vibration tests on equipment to determine
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of proper functioning of mechanical, electrical,
and plumbing equipment.
- Skill in planning and inspecting for a preventative
- Skill in both verbal and written communication.
years of experience in mechanical and plumbing equipment
maintenance, repair, or inspection; OR, Any equivalent combination
of experience and/or education from which comparable knowledge,
skills and abilities have been achieved.
Next: Maintenance Scheduler Job Description