Library Assistant Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose of Classification:
Performs the support and processing functions of a library unit such
as preparing order forms, inputting online records or sorting
library material. Works with a variety of library automated systems
providing service to library users, library staff or libraries.
Monitors the work of student assistants.
the first in a series of four classifications and is distinguished
from the Library Assistant Senior in that this classification
adheres to specific and detailed guidelines while the Library
Assistant Senior creates descriptive bibliographic records,
negotiates fines with library users and reviews and corrects online
error reports. This classification operates under direct supervision
and may report to a Library Assistant Senior, Library Specialist or
Senior, Library Supervisor or Senior Librarian or Department Head.
Examples of Duties:
- Inputs and updates online records including bibliographic
and patron records on automated systems following a standard
format; searches bibliographic records or other data on
- Provides clerical support which may include preparing supply
order forms and monitoring supply inventory, compiling
statistics for monthly and annual reports, reporting equipment
problems, maintaining equipment reports and/or scheduling and
billing for library services; prepares meeting room schedules.
- Sorts and routes incoming and outgoing mail; prepares
library materials for shipment and receives returned material.
- Processes monograph and serial publications including
withdrawing volumes and titles from the collection, assigning
backlog accession numbers, maintaining department backlog,
proofreading catalog records and maintaining holding
information; processes claims for outstanding orders.
- Circulates library material utilizing an automated system
and provides reserve service and directional information; refers
library users to the appropriate reference area; receives,
processes and prepares library and non-library material for
circulation that are received from faculty for course reserve;
reviews qualifications and issues community use cards.
- Sorts and shelves library materials and shifts library
collections; prepares library material for shelving and
circulation by preparing call number labels, stamping, labeling
and inserting a detection device; reviews damaged library
material and routes to appropriate staff member for repair.
- Coordinates the processing of hold and recall requests and
notifies library users of availability; resolves overdue recall
problems, following established guidelines.
- Verifies correct form of entry for monographs and serials;
alphabetizes and files cards in the library catalog; identifies
and resolves catalog card problems; prepares cross-references
for library catalog; creates name authority records.
- Opens the department and/or building following established
- Assists in the training of student assistants and
coordinates their work.
- Interprets and enforces library and university policy and
procedures; interacts appropriately with library users and
refers problems to a higher level.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of general library procedures and policies.
- Knowledge of automated library functions.
- Skill in following directions accurately.
- Skill in both verbal and written communication.
months of library or related clerical experience; OR, Any equivalent
combination of experience and/or education from which comparable
knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved.
Next: Library Assistant Senior Job Description