Legal Assistant Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose of Classification:
Performs paraprofessional legal tasks under limited supervision by
the first of two series of classifications.
Examples of Duties:
- Prepares cases for legal actions of various kinds and
secures evidence and documentation.
- Confers with attorneys, adverse parties, court officials and
other University departments.
- Researches laws in statute books, codes, policy manuals and
- Interviews witnesses to obtain relevant information.
- Locates and reviews judicial decisions for applicability to
pending cases; identifies and interprets relevant portions of
manuals, statutes, rule books, codes and regulations.
- Composes correspondence dealing with legal subject matter,
utilizing considerable discretion, judgment or negotiation.
- Drafts pleadings for presentation to the court.
- Gives and receives information requiring considerable
judgment regarding current departmental business.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of concepts, terminology, principles and
procedures of American law.
- Knowledge of methods and techniques of legal research and
the use of statutes, codes and other legal resources.
- Knowledge of functions and jurisdictions of local, state and
federal courts and related agencies.
- Skill in analytical and problem-solving techniques.
- Skill in both verbal and written communication and
- Skill in work management and organization.
Associate's degree in any field which includes legal assistant
course work AND four years of paralegal office or legal secretarial
experience; OR, Six years of paralegal office or legal secretarial
experience; OR, Certification by the National Association of Legal
Assistants AND four years of paralegal or legal secretarial
experience; OR, Any equivalent combination of experience and/or
education from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have
Next: Legal Assistant Senior Job Description