Information Specialist Coordinator Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose of Classification:
Supervises or coordinates professional staff through providing
technical direction in the journalistic production of news,
education or public relations information, and presentation of such
to the school, media or public. Maintains responsibility for the
more complex, and sensitive journalistic assignments.
third in a series of three classifications and is distinguished from
the Information Specialist level by the supervisory or lead
Examples of Duties:
- Supervises, monitors or coordinates activities of
- Technically directs the work of subordinate journalistic and
clerical personnel engaged in preparing news releases, annual
reports, publications, educational or other journalistic
materials, which require writing, editing, production, layout
design and photography.
- Writes regular and feature news stories for local, regional
and national media sources, arranges press conferences, supplies
information and pictorial information and maintains positive
working relationships with outside media sources or writes,
edits, assists in writing and edits educational and/or public
relations materials issued by department.
- Gathers material; edits and writes newsletters.
- Handles journalistic assignments of a specialized nature,
such as, sports information, graduate study bulletins, posters
and prevention and treatment of various diseases information,
including design of handouts and flyers.
- Performs editorial assignments as required.
- Oversees maintenance of publicity and clipping files, and
responds to correspondence and requests for information directed
to public relations office.
- Coordinates preparation of programs for broadcast.
- Produces and directs photography for special events or
public relations purposes.
- Serves as liaison between department and printers.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of news reporting and editing principles,
practices and techniques.
- Knowledge of public relations principles, practices and
- Knowledge of printing and graphics.
- Skill in both verbal and written communication.
- Skill in providing technical direction to professional and
Bachelor's degree in Journalism or related field AND four years
public information writing experience; OR, Seven years of
progressively responsible public information writing experience; OR,
Any equivalent combination of experience and/or education from which
comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved.
Next: Instructional Aide Job Description