Groundskeeper Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose of Classification:
Maintains grounds and participates in ground construction
activities. Working conditions include dirty environment, extreme
temperatures, lifts or carries heavy objects.
first in a series of five classifications and is an entry-level
classification. This classification typically reports to the
Examples of Duties:
- Plants shrubs, trees, and flowers; prunes trees and shrubs.
- Removes debris from stairs and walks, rakes leaves, and mows
- Waters trees, shrubs, and lawns and performs irrigation
- Sprays for weeds and insects using unrestricted chemicals as
- Operates large power lawn mowers, edgers, hand tools, and
large vehicles associated with ground maintenance and
- Operates pick-up trucks, flat-rack trucks, and dump trucks
for hauling purposes and for trash and debris removal.
- Performs minor maintenance and repair on equipment and tools
- Assists in the maintenance of parking lots and other
surfaces, including asphalt repairs and minor masonry or
plastering work as required.
- Shovels and removes snow and ice from designated areas such
as roofs, sidewalks, and entryways as required.
- Installs and removes outdoor signs, parking and traffic
control barriers, and overhead banners as required.
- May operate various snow removal equipment.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of equipment, tools, and procedures of grounds
construction and care.
- Knowledge of fertilizers, insecticides, and herbicides used
in grounds care and gardening.
- Skill in operating grounds maintenance and grounds
year of grounds maintenance experience; OR, Any equivalent
combination of experience and/or education from which comparable
knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved. Some positions
in this classification may be required to ob
Next: Groundskeeper Lead Job Description