Grounds Supervisor Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose of Classification:
Supervises Groundskeepers in the maintenance of grounds and grounds
fifth in a series of five classifications. This classification
typically reports to an Assistant Director.
Examples of Duties:
- Hires, coaches, reviews, supervises, and terminates assigned
employees, or makes effective suggestions and recommendations
that are given particular weight regarding the employment status
of assigned employees.
- Plans and coordinates the grounds maintenance/construction
- Develops long-term plans, plans work schedules, makes work
assignments, and inspects both finished projects as well as work
- Recommends and implements methods and procedures designed to
increase overall effectiveness of the grounds operation.
- Compiles information for budget estimates and special
projects; develops budgets for equipment and programs; monitors
the expenditure of funds for facilities equipment and service.
- Implements and maintains a sound safety program.
- Analyzes manpower requirements and issues specific
assignments in a manner to ensure the most effective utilization
of personnel and equipment.
- Inspects work of personnel and provides measures to ensure
satisfactory performance and to meet established standards.
- May supervise, plan and coordinate the snow removal
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of the principles, practices, and techniques of
grounds maintenance and construction.
- Knowledge of supervisory principles, practices, and
- Skill in planning and managing a grounds
- Skill in both verbal and written communication.
years of grounds maintenance experience, which includes two years of
supervisory experience; OR, Associate's degree in Horticulture or
related field AND four years of grounds maintenance experience which
includes two years of supervisory experience; OR, Any equivalent
combination of experience and/or education from which comparable
Next: Groundskeeper Job Description