Grounds Assistant Supervisor Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose of Classification:
Supervises grounds crew in the maintenance of grounds and grounds
fourth in a series of five classifications. This classification
typically reports to the Grounds Supervisor.
Examples of Duties:
- Hires, coaches, reviews, supervises, and terminates assigned
employees, or makes effective suggestions and recommendations
that are given particular weight regarding the employment status
of assigned employees.
- Assists in supervising the grounds maintenance/construction
- Implements and designs detailed plans for maintaining
University grounds, including recommendations for new planting,
replanting, and reorganizing existing plantings of lawn areas,
shrubbery, shade and ornamental trees, flower beds, and all
aspects of grounds construction.
- Plans and coordinates sectional operations and needs with
appropriate personnel and other agencies.
- Maintains up-to-date information on developments in soils,
plants, insect control, herbicide, and other matters affecting
- Inspects plants, trees, and shrubs for insect pests or
disease and takes necessary measures for eradication.
- Inspects work of others and initiates corrective measures to
meet established standards.
- Maintains records and files and submits reports as required.
- Assists in the preparation of budgets and control of
activities required in maintaining a department operating within
limits and/or approved budgets.
- Instructs personnel in following appropriate safety
standards and procedures.
- May develop snow removal plans and supervise the snow
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of the principles, practices, and techniques of
grounds maintenance and construction.
- Knowledge of supervisory principles and practices.
- Skill in planning and supervising a grounds
- Skill in both verbal and written communication.
years of grounds maintenance experience which includes one year of
supervisory experience; OR, Associates degree in Horticulture or
related field AND three years of grounds maintenance experience,
which includes one year of supervisory experience; OR, Any
equivalent combination of experience and/or education from which
comparable knowledge, skills, and abilities have been achieved.
Next: Grounds Crew Chief Job Description