Graphic Designer Supervisor Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose of Classification:
Prepares a variety of skilled graphic design and layout work in
preparation of various posters, exhibits, advertisements, slides,
brochures, books, newsletters and flyers using various production
techniques which may include computer graphic systems and software.
classification is fourth in a series of four and is distinguished
from the third level in that incumbents oversee the activities of
Graphics Artists, Graphic Designers and Graphic Designer, Seniors.
Incumbents in this classification work within established deadlines
inherent to the graphic design industry.
Examples of Duties:
- Creates and designs graphics for layout of all forms of
printed matter including comprehensive campaigns featuring
booklets, brochures, newsletters, posters, flyers, maps, logos
as well as supporting materials such as slides and
computer-based presentations; uses traditional and computer
graphic methods of preparing layouts of camera-ready artwork;
may design books as a staff member of a publishing house.
- Monitors activities of subordinates to ensure policies and
procedures are being followed and makes recommendations in
policy and employee performance matters.
- Operates various graphic design equipment such a space
design, “paint” and animation computer software and hardware,
cameras and lettering equipment.
- Confers with clients, writers, editors, marketing staff and
others regarding project specifications such as paper stock,
graphic content, layout and media requirements; may create
composites and develop concepts depending on needs and budgetary
- Writes bid specifications for jobs assigned to outside
vendors; coordinates production of material with outside vendors
by monitoring jobs in progress, resolving technical problems,
proofing material and ensuring deadlines are met.
- Creates and designs technical drawings and illustrations.
- Designs and constructs visual displays and exhibits;
determines materials and equipment best suited for the job.
- Prepares cost estimates for persons requesting graphic
design services; oversees graphic arts supply inventory and
maintains department filing systems for completed artwork and
archival computer files.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge and skill in design, layout and illustration.
- Knowledge of typography and statistical data display and
- Knowledge and skill in typing and basic personal computer
- Knowledge of photography and photo processing techniques.
- Skill in coordinating the work of others.
- Skill in both oral and written communications.
Bachelor’s degree in Graphic Design or equivalent AND four years
experience in graphic design, which includes one year experience at
the Graphic Designer, Senior level; OR, Eight years experience in
graphic design which includes one year experience at the Graphic
Designer, Senior level; OR, Any equivalent combination of
experience, training and/or education approved by the Human
Next: Grounds Assistant Supervisor Job Description