Equipment Mechanic Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose of Classification:
Repairs, maintains, and overhauls grounds/labor equipment and diesel
engines. This is a skilled position.
a specialized class and not part of a series. Working conditions
include restricted movement, dirty environment, intense noise,
lifting or carrying heavy objects.
Examples of Duties:
- Overhauls, troubleshoots, and repairs engines (1-6
cylinders), diesel engines, automatic and manual transmissions,
clutches, and hydraulic systems on generators, riding motors,
rotary mowers, blowers, compressors, vacuums, sweepers, cement
mixers, power trowels, jack hammers, cement saws, backhoes,
cranes, dump trucks, and other equipment.
- Performs preventative maintenance by changing oil,
lubricating, replacing worn parts, and adjusting aforementioned
- Sharpens hand tools and mower reels, bed knives, rotary
mower blades, roto tillers, vertical machines, and sod cutters.
- Maintains inventory and appropriate records.
- Requisitions replacement parts.
- Operates diagnostic electronic equipment for checking
charging systems, blade tip speeds, braking systems, electronic
ignition, emissions control systems, and electronic management
- Performs arc and gas welding and fabrication of unique turf
- Performs tune-ups, repairs brake system, steering systems,
electrical and electronic ignition systems; operates V.O.M. to
trouble shoot electronic systems failures in starters and
alternators and portable emergency generators; uses electronic
analysis to troubleshoot engine and emissions control systems.
- Repairs and adjusts diesel fuel injection systems.
- Trains and assists other staff in the operation and the
performance of preventive maintenance and minor mechanical
repairs as required.
- May shovel and remove snow and ice from designated areas.
- May operate various snow removal equipment.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge in the use of common hand and power tools.
- Knowledge of repair and maintenance of grounds/labor
- Knowledge of electronics control engine and emissions
- Knowledge of 2 and 4 stroke diesel engine and fuel systems.
- Skill in repairing and maintaining grounds/labor equipment.
years of experience in the maintenance and repair of grounds/labor
equipment; OR, Any equivalent combination of experience and/or
education from which comparable knowledge, skills, and abilities
have been achieved. Possession of a current Arizona State, Class D,
drivers license upon employment.
Next: Equipment Operator Job Description