Engineer Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose of Classification:
schedules, conducts or coordinates detailed phases of the
engineering work in a part of a major project or in a total project
of moderate scope. Performs work that involves conventional
engineering practice but may include a variety of complex features
such as conflicting design requirements, unsuitability of
conventional materials and difficult coordination requirements. Work
requires a broad knowledge of precedents in the specialty area and a
good knowledge of principles and practices or related specialties.
third in a series of five classifications and is distinguished from
the Engineer Associate in that incumbents independently perform most
assignments with instructions as to the general results expected.
They receive technical guidance on unusual or complex problems and
supervisory approval on proposed plans for projects.
Examples of Duties:
- Creates engineered components, electrical circuits,
equipment and integrated systems.
- Coordinates engineering calculations by calculator or
computer to solve routine engineering problems.
- Oversees the design or develops engineering drawings
including plans and specifications based on calculations;
reviews, interprets and revises engineering drawings.
- Requisitions components and supplies for engineering
projects, interacting with vendors to obtain price and product
- Estimates budget for each project including cost of
personnel and materials.
- Oversees and/or performs the fabrication of experimental
- Coordinates the troubleshooting and repair of equipment
and/or performs testing and troubleshooting of experimental
equipment and systems and performs repairs, modifications or
adjustments to eliminate malfunctions.
- Performs research relating to each specific project; writes
documentation and manuals.
- Coordinates with other project group members and supervisor
on design problems.
- Writes specifications for purchase of new equipment.
- Trains faculty, staff and students in the operation of
- Supervises and coordinates the work activities of engineers,
drafters, technicians, and others who assist in specific
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of engineering principles and procedures.
- Knowledge of design applications.
- Knowledge of equipment and systems appropriate to related
- Skill in applying engineering principles and procedures.
- Skill in engineering design applications.
- Skill in both verbal and written communication.
Bachelor's degree in Engineering or related field AND Four years of
engineering or related experience; OR, Eight years of engineering or
related experience; OR, Any equivalent combination of experience
and/or education from which comparable knowledge, skills and
abilities have been achieved.
Next: Engineer Associate Job Description