Editor/Publisher Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose of Classification:
Coordinates publication efforts through the editing, writing,
indexing, and producing of manuals, manuscripts, journals, which may
include on-line or web based materials.
third in a series of three classifications. It is distinguished from
the second level in its responsibility for the overall quality of
published material, and supervision and direction of the activities
of support staff.
Examples of Duties:
- Supervises activities of subordinates.
- Monitors and coordinates the photography, artwork, layout
and preparation of the copy for publication.
- Reviews copy submitted by authors, staff or faculty members.
- Writes materials with the main emphasis on eliminating
ambiguity and submits to author for reviews.
- Ensures publication and production of a variety of materials
including on-line publishing, from on-campus services.
- Edits material for accuracy, style and readability,
recommending changes where necessary.
- Writes articles and work in conjunction with other writers,
assigns stories, and prepares news and general feature articles
- Reads, proofs and/or supervises the proofreading of
- Maintains own budget and is accountable for expenditures.
- Develops and maintains new outlets for publication(s), such
as updating, revising or creating mailing lists.
- Solicits bids and maintains working relationship with
- Oversees distribution of publication.
- May develop and produce web-based materials.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of supervisory practices and principles.
- Knowledge and skill in language required for editing and
proofing of written material.
- Knowledge of publication technology, policies and
- Skill in organizing work and meeting deadlines.
- Skill in the use of personal computers and related software
Bachelor's degree in Journalism, English or related field AND four
years of experience in editing, journalism or editorial research;
OR, Eight years of progressively responsible experience in editing,
journalism or editorial research; OR, Any equivalent combination of
education and/or experience from which comparable knowledge, skills
and abilities have been achieved.
Next: Electrical Assistant Supervisor Job Description