Construction Estimator Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose of Classification:
Prepares estimates, blueprints, and written specifications for new
construction and remodels and retrofits of existing facilities.
first in a series of two classifications.
Examples of Duties:
- Coordinates with department personnel to assist them in
establishing the project scope and standards of construction
- Assesses scope and location of the job.
- Estimates equipment, manpower, cost of project, and
materials required to accomplish each project.
- Makes sketches or blueprints to detail work to be
- Assists in the establishment of job priority based on
- Inspects buildings to determine work needed to maintain
buildings to code and desired standards.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of building construction, materials and methods.
- Knowledge of building codes and electrical, or plumbing, or
mechanical and related codes.
- Knowledge of the laws and ordinances regulating building
- Skill in reading and interpreting plans and specifications.
- Skill in both verbal and written communication.
years of experience as a journey-level electrician, carpenter or
plumber including two years of construction estimating experience;
OR, Any equivalent combination of experience and/or education from
which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved.
Next: Construction Inspector Job Description