Computer Data Base Specialist Principal Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose of Classification:
Designs, plans, analyzes and implements requirements for major data
base/data communications facilities involving complex structures.
Provides technical support and training to programmers and analysts
in the use of data base software systems.
third in a series of three classifications. Incumbents provide
technical direction, coordinate computer specialist teams performing
technical database support activities and supervise data base
Examples of Duties:
- Plans, directs, organizes and schedules the analysis and
design of data base formats for computer systems.
- Design specifications for data access controls for systems
to ensure security standards and usage are properly followed.
- Reviews methods of improving data base/data communications
performance and response times; establishes data base and data
communication performance standards.
- Monitors programming tasks associated with data base
- Advises application programmers and analysts concerning data
base/data communications requirements.
- Plans and directs data base reorganizations and the
integration of data base structures; reviews recommendations for
data base modifications.
- Plans and directs installation of vendor supplied data base
software releases and updates.
- Directs data base recovery in the event of loss.
- Coordinates development of data base standards.
- Serves as project manager on highly complex data base and
data communications projects.
- Designs database support systems.
- Identifies data base problem trends.
- Provides training to lower level staff and to applications
programmers and analysts.
- Ensures the security and integrity of all production data.
- Serves as backup to the manager during absences or may serve
as a management trainee position.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of the principles, practices, developments, and
techniques used in systems analysis, applications programming,
and data base/data communications technology.
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of project
- Skill in the use of the programming job control and data
definition languages specific to the assignment.
Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or related field AND four
years of systems and/or applications programming experience; OR,
Associate's Degree in Computer Science or related field AND five
years of systems and/or applications programming experience; OR, Six
years of systems and/or applications programming experience; OR, Any
equivalent combination of experience and/or education from which
comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved.
Next: Computer Data Base Specialist Senior Job Description