Computer Data Base Specialist Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose of Classification:
Analyzes and implements requirements for data base/data
first in a series of three classifications and is distinguished from
programmers in that incumbents perform data base analysis, design,
and implementation. Specialists work with systems users, computer
programmers and analysts, and advise on data base design and
Examples of Duties:
- Analyzes specifications for software needs and database
- Implements database support systems and data access controls
for systems according to specifications.
- Monitors data base/data communications performance and
- Performs data base reorganizations and software maintenance;
performs data base modifications according to specifications.
- Performs programming tasks associated with data base
standards according to specifications.
- Assists applications programmers and analysts in resolution
of problems involving data base.
- Investigates and corrects data base security and integrity
- Installs and maintains vendor supplied data base software,
tests and coordinates implementation procedures.
- Performs data base recovery in the event of loss.
- Writes systems and user documentation to include on-line
- Analyzes requested data base changes for impact on systems.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of the theory, principles, and practices of system
specification standards, applications programming, and data
base/data communications technology.
- Knowledge of the functions and capabilities of data base
- Skill in the use of the programming and job control and data
defining languages specific to the assignment.
- Skill in both verbal and written communication.
Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related field AND two years
of systems and/or applications programming experience; OR,
Associate's degree in Computer Science or related field AND three
years of systems and/or applications programming experience; OR,
Four years of systems and/or applications programming experience;
OR, Any equivalent combination of experience and/or education from
which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved.
Next: Computer Data Base Specialist Principal Job Description