Computer Communications Specialist Senior Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose of Classification:
Designs, develops, operates, and maintains high-speed communications
network facilities, including links, switching systems and network
monitoring and control facilities.
second in a series of four classifications. Incumbents in this
class, assign, coordinate and oversee work of communications
specialists, technicians and programmer teams performing a wide
variety of network support functions involving hardware, software
and control/monitoring elements.
Examples of Duties:
- Reviews requests from users for On-Line Computing Facilities
to determine feasibility, cost, equipment needs, time involved;
assigns projects to specialists, programmers, or appropriate
- Coordinates and oversees activities in all phases of
projects until the network is functioning adequately.
- Researches specific technical hardware and software related
questions from management, programming, operations, maintenance
and systems programming personnel as required.
- Reviews, evaluates and documents existing network hardware,
software, protocol elements and procedures for possible
improvement and authorizes or recommends new or revised elements
or procedures as necessary.
- Reviews, tests and evaluates new versions of communication
hardware and software.
- Coordinates and participates in the planning, installation
and operation of hardware, software and control elements of the
network and coordinates with the systems programming, operations
and maintenance staffs of connected computing facilities on
hardware and software interface matters.
- Reviews and analyzes communication hardware and software
specifications for completeness and compatibility with the
- Coordinates with administrative and technical personnel
concerning installation, implementation, certification,
operation and maintenance of complex hardware and software
elements interfacing to the communications network.
- Assists and trains communication, systems programming,
maintenance, operations and other appropriate personnel relating
to the communication network, and its service requirements.
- Analyzes and prepares documentation concerning the
adaptation of complex hardware, software and protocols to the
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of the principles, operation and capabilities of
high-speed communication network hardware, software and
protocols currently available.
- Knowledge of the principles, of communication system
operation, maintenance, monitoring and control.
- Knowledge of multiprogramming computer operating system
methods and procedures.
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of software
- Skill in the use of programming languages, hardware and
protocols specific in to the assignment.
- Skill in both verbal and written communication.
Bachelor's degree in Communications Systems Engineering, Electrical
Engineering or related field and four years experience with high
speed circuit or packet switched data networks; OR, Six years of
communication system design, implementation, operation or
maintenance experience which includes two years' experience with
high speed circuit or packet switched data networks; OR, Any
equivalent combination of experience and/or education from which
comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved.
Next: Computer Data Base Specialist Job Description