Computer Communications Specialist Principal Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose of Classification:
Designs, develops, and coordinates operation and maintenance of high
speed communications network facilities, including links, switching
systems and network monitoring and control facilities.
third in a series of four classifications. Incumbents in this class
assign, coordinate and oversee work of Communications Specialists
Seniors, technicians and programmer teams performing a wide variety
of network support functions involving hardware, software and
Examples of Duties:
- Plans, develops, coordinates requests from end users for
on-line computing facilities to determine feasibility, cost,
equipment needs, time involved; assigns projects to Senior
Specialists, Specialists, Programmers, or appropriate
- Plans, develops, coordinates activities in all phases of
projects until the network is functioning adequately.
- Reviews research relative to specific technical hardware and
software related questions and makes recommendations to
management, programming, operations, maintenance and systems
programming personnel as required.
- Reviews, evaluates and directs documentation of existing
network hardware, software, protocol elements and procedures for
possible improvement and authorizes or recommends new or revised
elements or procedures as necessary.
- Plans, develops, and coordinates the testing and evaluation
of new versions of communication hardware and software.
- Plans, develops, and coordinates the installation and
operation of hardware, software and control elements of the
network and coordinates with the systems programming, operations
and maintenance staffs of connected computing facilities on
hardware and software interface matters.
- Reviews and coordinates the analysis of communication
hardware and software specifications for completeness and
compatibility with the communication network.
- Develops, plans and coordinates with administrative and
technical personnel concerning installation, implementation,
certification, operation and maintenance of complex hardware and
software elements interfacing to the communications network.
- Assists and trains communication, systems programming,
maintenance, operations and other appropriate personnel relating
to the communication network, and its service requirements.
- Reviews analysis concerning the adaptation of complex
hardware, software and protocols to the communications network.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of the principles, operation and capabilities of
high-speed communication network hardware, software and
protocols currently available.
- Knowledge of the principles, of communications system
operation, maintenance, monitoring and control.
- Knowledge of multiprogramming computer operating system
methods and procedures.
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of systems
- Knowledge of supervisory practices and principles.
- Skill in the use of programming languages, hardware and
protocols specific to the assignment.
- Skill in effectively communicating technical matters both
verbally and in writing.
Bachelor's degree in Communications Systems Engineering, Electrical
Engineering or related field and five years' experience with high
speed circuit or packet switched data networks; OR, Seven years of
communication system design, implementation, operation or
maintenance experience which includes three years' experience with
high speed circuit or packet switched data networks; OR, Any
equivalent combination of experience and/or education from which
comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved.
Next: Computer Communications Specialist Senior Job Description