Computer Communications Specialist Coordinator Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose of Classification:
Provides support to users of the network infrastructure and mentors
other network infrastructure support staff. Usually as a team
leader, researches, analyzes, designs, develops, and coordinates
installation, operation and maintenance of high speed communications
network facilities. These communication networks include links,
switching systems and network monitoring and control facilities.
fourth in a series of four classifications. Incumbents in this class
assign, coordinate and oversee work of Communications Specialist
Principals, Seniors, technicians and programmer teams performing a
wide variety of network support functions involving hardware,
software and control/monitoring elements.
Examples of Duties:
- Usually as a team leader, identifies need and researches,
analyzes, plans, develops and coordinates requests from end
users for on-line computing facilities to determine feasibility,
cost, equipment needs, time involved; assigns projects to
principle and senior specialists, specialists, programmers, or
- Plans, develops, coordinates activities in all phases of
projects until the network is functioning adequately.
- Reviews research relative to specific technical hardware and
software related questions and makes recommendations to
management, programming, operations, maintenance and systems
programming personnel as required.
- Reviews, evaluates and directs documentation of existing
network hardware, software, protocol elements and procedures for
possible improvement and authorizes or recommends new or revised
elements or procedures as necessary.
- Acts as a network technology liaison for one or more groups
of customers: understands the groupí s interests and networking
needs, advocates for them inside and outside of the university,
maintains regular communications with them on networking topics,
helps with network technology planning, and facilitates
solutions to problems.
- Plans, develops, and coordinates the testing and evaluation
of new versions of communication hardware and software.
- Plans, develops, and coordinates the installation and
operation of hardware, software and control elements of the
network and coordinates with the systems programming, operations
and maintenance staffs of connected computing facilities on
hardware and software interface matters.
- Reviews and coordinates the analysis of communication
hardware and software specifications for completeness and
compatibility with the communication network.
- Usually as a team leader, develops, plans and coordinates
with administrative and technical personnel concerning
installation, implementation, certification, operation and
maintenance of complex hardware and software elements
interfacing to the communications network.
- Maintains a high degree of technical knowledge and expertise
in the operation and maintenance of high speed communications
- Mentors other communication, systems programming,
maintenance, operations and other appropriate personnel relating
to the communication network infrastructure and its service
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Considerable knowledge of the principles, operation and
capabilities of high-speed communication network hardware,
software and protocols currently available.
- Considerable knowledge of the principles of communications
system operation, maintenance, monitoring and control.
- Considerable knowledge of principles and practices of
project coordination relative to network infrastructure.
- Considerable knowledge of the principles and practices of
network software programming.
- Knowledge of supervisory practices and principles.
- Skill in the use of programming languages, hardware and
protocols specific to the assignment.
- Proficiency in effectively communicating technical matters
both verbally and in writing.
Bachelor's degree in Communications Systems Engineering, Electrical
Engineering or related field and six years of project coordination,
communication system design, implementation, operation or
maintenance experience which includes four years' experience with
high speed circuit or packet switched data networks; OR, Eight years
of project coordination, communication system design,
implementation, operation or maintenance experience which includes
four years' experience with high speed circuit or packet switched
data networks; OR, Any equivalent combination of experience and/or
education from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have
Next: Computer Communications Specialist Principal Job Description