Carpenter Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose of Classification:
Constructs, repairs, restores, and installs structural woodwork and
related materials. This is a journey level position. Incumbents in
this classification are exposed to restricted movement, dirty
environment, extreme temperature and intense noise inherent to
carpentry positions. Incumbents must lift and carry heavy objects.
first in a series of four classifications and typically reports to
Examples of Duties:
- Constructs, repairs, restores and installs structures such
as floors, doors, walls, windows, stairways, furniture,
cabinets, shelves, and roofs.
- Operates and performs preventative maintenance on hand and
power saws, planers, lathes, joiners, shapers, drills, sanders
and a variety of hand tools.
- Installs locks, knobs, hinges, closures, and other fixtures
- Cleans equipment, shop area, and work site area.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of tools, equipment, and materials common to the
- Knowledge of cabinet-making techniques.
- Skills in the construction, repair, restoration, and
installation of wood or related materials.
- Ability to estimate time and materials needed for assigned
Completion of a four year federally approved technical training
program in carpentry; OR, Four years' carpentry experience; OR, Any
equivalent combination of experience and/or education from which
comparable knowledge, skills, and abilities have been achieved.
Next: Carpenter Lead Job Description