Building Automation Systems Supervisor Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose of Classification:
Supervises the installation, repair, operation, maintenance, and
programming of building automation systems.
third in a series of three classifications. This classification
typically reports to the Superintendent of Utilities.
Examples of Duties:
- Hires, coaches, reviews, supervises, and terminates assigned
employees, or makes effective suggestions and recommendations
that are given particular weight regarding the employment status
of assigned employees.
- Audits energy management reporting to ensure accurate
- Assists in the design and specifications of planned jobs
and/or contracts, including mechanical, hardware, software, and
controls sequence recommendations.
- Plans and develops, assigns, and adjusts work methods and
procedures to optimize automation system applications.
- Inspects work in process to insure standardization of
control processes and sequences.
- Trains employees in new methods and procedures, including
- Prepares estimates of proposed job costs to insure effective
utilization of personnel and equipment.
- Verifies accuracy of energy monitoring, energy reports, and
- Prepares software and sequence design and specifications of
planned jobs or contracts.
- Maintains records and files, including the approval of time
cards and absences, and submits as required.
- Assists in the preparation of capital and operations
- Maintains correct stock levels of repair or replacement
- Provides technical advice and support to subordinates
regarding air volume controllers, laboratory controls, and other
electronic fume hood controls.
- Coordinates with suppliers, contractors, engineers, and
others concerning equipment operations or maintenance.
- Oversees building automation systems programming and
verifies programming results.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of automation systems software and hardware.
- Knowledge of proper installation, calibration, and set-up
procedures of building automation systems.
- Knowledge of upload/download of various systems controllers.
- Knowledge of a variety of air handling devices.
- Knowledge of configuration and modification of Workstation
Operating System Software and Controller Logic.
- Knowledge of mechanical systems.
- Knowledge of installation techniques of automation systems
- Knowledge of supervisory principles and practices.
- Skill in reading and understanding schematics and software
- Skill in analyzing complex parameters to prevent automated
- Ability to direct and verify coil performance evaluations,
guidelines for air and water balance procedures and Proportional
Integral and Derivative loop tuning to stabilize pumping
years of controls/building automation systems experience, which
includes one year of supervisory experience; OR; Seven years of
controls/building automation systems experience, which includes one
year of supervisory experience AND completion of a related technical
training program equivalent to one year; OR; Any equivalent
combination of experience and/or education from which comparable
knowledge, skills, and abilities have been achieved. Some positions
may require Chloroflourocarbons Certification upon employment. Some
Next: Business Manager Job Description