Broadcast Engineering Supervisor Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose of Classification:
Supervises broadcast engineering activities and personnel in
maintenance of technical and operational standards in broadcasting
signals and ensures compliance to Federal Communication Commission's
(FCC) rules and regulations for on-air operations. Trains and
schedules subordinate personnel in broadcast engineering activities.
third in a series of four classifications. It is distinguished from
the Broadcast Engineering Senior in that it reports to the Chief and
supervises Broadcast Engineer Senior and Broadcast Engineers and
technicians. Incumbents in this classification are required to
maintain "on-call" or standby status for response to emergency
situations on a rotational basis.
Examples of Duties:
- Supervises the activities of subordinates.
- Interprets FCC and industry technical standards to measure
quality of equipment performance to ensure regulations are met;
ensures maintenance activities of studio equipment and/or remote
- Prepares and maintains various technical records and
- Advises department personnel, users and viewers on technical
capabilities of system/equipment and answers questions or
resolves technical problems.
- Participates in the planning of department short and long
range plans for facility changes, system modifications and
- Schedules engineering activities and workers based on
- Establishes and updates departmental procedures as needed.
- Coordinates the ordering of broadcast supplies and
equipment; makes recommendation for major equipment purchases.
- Monitors broadcast engineering budget; determines if
department expenditures are within budget parameters and decides
on what adjustments are necessary.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of broadcast rules, regulations and guidelines.
- Knowledge of maintenance, usage and design of technical
- Knowledge of supervisory practices and principles.
- Skill in both verbal and written communication.
Associate's degree in Electronics, Broadcasting or related field AND
five years experience in broadcast equipment repair, design and
installation; OR, Six years experience in broadcast equipment
repair, design and installation; OR, Any equivalent combination of
experience and/or education from which comparable knowledge, skills
and abilities have been achieved.
Next: Broadcast Operations Technician Job Description