Broadcast Engineer Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose of Classification:
Provides technical support to broadcast facilities in repair,
maintenance, installation and modification of technical broadcasting
equipment. Incumbents in this classification travel to remote
locations for equipment repair, work under pressure in order to meet
broadcast deadlines, make decisions and take corrective action with
supervision and are required to work various shifts within any 24
hour period of the week.
first in a series of four classifications and is distinguished from
the Broadcast Engineer Senior in that incumbents spend the majority
of the time in operating, maintaining and repairing systems and
perform more routine maintenance while assisting in high level
maintenance under supervision.
Examples of Duties:
- Operates, maintains, troubleshoots and repairs complex
electronic, computer based, optical and mechanical broadcasting
systems. Repairs and maintains equipment in emergency and
- Sets up and operates various broadcasting equipment such as
recording, video and editing equipment; checks equipment for
operational readiness; provides operational
assistance/instruction to others as needed.
- Prepares and maintains various technical records and
engineering logs pertaining to broadcast equipment performance
and discrepancies according to regulations.
- Participates in all aspects of video postproduction,
including audio mixing, technical direction, C.G. operation,
computer editing, videotape operation and editing.
- Sets up, maintains and operates remote production
facilities, to include all engineering activities associated
with remote television productions.
- Tests and aligns new equipment prior to installation in
- Sets up and maintains transmission equipment for broadcast
and point-to-point microwave links.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of broadcast rules and regulations.
- Knowledge in maintenance, usage, and design of technical
- Skill in responding to operational/technical equipment
- Skill in both verbal and written communication.
- Skill in repair of digital and computer systems.
Associate's degree in Electronics, Broadcasting or related field AND
two years experience in broadcast engineering which included
equipment, repair and installation; OR, Four years experience in
broadcast engineering which included equipment, repair and
installation; OR, Any equivalent combination of experience and/or
education from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have
Next: Broadcast Engineer Chief Job Description