Applications Systems Analyst Senior Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose of Classification:
designs and analyzes user requests and requirements for the
implementation and development of data processing systems.
Incumbents in this position coordinate the activities of lower level
analysts and programmers working within a department, unit or
coordinate/lead a project team in the design, development and
analysis of data processing systems.
second in a series of three classifications. This position is
distinguished from the first level in that incumbents are in a lead
capacity and coordinate the work of lower level analysts.
Examples of Duties:
- Coordinates the activities of subordinates.
- Develops work plan and time schedules for computing projects
including outlining phases, and identifying personnel and
computing equipment requirements; monitors workload and
progress; changes schedule and plan as needed.
- Confers with other computing personnel to solve complex
procedural, operational and technical problems.
- Participates with management personnel in planning,
directing and coordinating operational and/or procedural matters
to meet the goals and objectives of the project.
- Evaluates hardware and software products, and programming
languages to determine their applicability to the system and/or
- Completes various reports and summaries for management
and/or users including status reports, problems, progress
summaries, and system utilization reports.
- Confers with users to review project plans and schedules,
secure approval of test results, and discuss problems, or
- Modifies and/or writes program code and/or job control
language as needed.
- Answers questions and provides technical assistance and/or
training to system users.
- Reviews and analyzes system problems including system
documentation and production output to identify solutions and/or
make appropriate referrals.
- Participates in the development of system and programming
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of the theory, principles and practices of system
specification standards and applications programming.
- Knowledge of the functions and capabilities of data
- Skill in the use of the programming and job control
languages specific to the assignment.
- Skill in both verbal and written communication.
- Skill in coordinating and directing the work of project team
Associate's degree in Computer Science or related field AND four
years systems and/or programming experience; OR, Bachelor's Degree
in Computer Science or related field AND three years of systems
and/or programming experience; OR, Five years of systems and/or
applications programming experience; OR, Any equivalent combination
of experience and/or education from which comparable knowledge,
skills and abilities have been achieved.
Next: Asbestos Environmental Safety Specialist Job Description