Animal Caretaker Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose of Classification:
Provides care for laboratory animals in an animal facility. Feeds
and waters animals; cleans cages, feeding equipment and animal
first in a series of seven classifications and is distinguished from
the Animal Technician in that incumbents do not breed animals or
administer medical treatments.
Examples of Duties:
- Feeds, waters and cares for animals according to detailed
- Cleans cages, feeding equipment and animal rooms; sprays
disinfectants and mops floors and walls.
- Washes and sterilizes cages and other materials.
- Assists in observing health condition and behavior of
animals; reports injuries, disease or abnormal behavior to
supervisor and/or designated person.
- Inventories animals by head count and weighs animals to
ensure requirements are met; moves animals to larger cages
according to National Institute of Health guidelines, in
consultation with supervisor.
- Completes and/or forwards paperwork when animals are moved.
- Transports animals and supplies to designated locations.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Skill in working with animals.
- Skill in concentrating on routine tasks.
- Skill in following both verbal and written instructions.
months animal husbandry experience; OR, Any equivalent combination
of experience and/or education from which comparable knowledge,
skills and abilities have been achieved.
Next: Animal Technician Job Description