Accounting Specialist Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose of Classification:
Performs a variety of specialized or technical clerical accounting
and bookkeeping functions. Responsible for a complete, systematic
set of transactions in a specialized accounting or bookkeeping
function. Leads or supervises a small clerical staff.
third in a series of three classifications. It is distinguished from
the Accounting Assistant Senior classification in that incumbents
work under own initiative and apply judgment with general
supervision. Incumbents are accountable for a specialized function
and exercise signature authority within well defined limits.
Incumbents are also distinguished by lead responsibilities, and
increased responsibility for particular assignment. This
classification is distinguished from the Accountant Associate
classification in that the Accountant Associate classification is
required to possess a broad knowledge of accounting principles to
apply in a variety of tasks and the largest part of duties is at the
Examples of Duties:
- Coordinates the activities of subordinates.
- Prepares or verifies and encodes requisitions, invoices,
complex journal entries or other transaction documents for
accuracy, completeness and compliance with pertinent university
or sponsor regulations; approves transaction documents within
- Determines if funds are available for expenditures or
requisitions and posts to proper account; monitors fund/account
balances and notifies appropriate personnel when limits are
- Maintains special logs or records and balances and
reconciles internal accounts or records with university system;
verifies accuracy and completeness and makes necessary
- Reviews computer reports to identify and trace sources of
error; makes necessary corrections.
- Prepares a variety of straightforward special and recurring
accounting-related reports, summaries, financial statements,
statistical reports and reconciliation.
- Performs or reviews specialized calculations related to
posting and accounting functions.
- Solves problems and recommends changes in procedure in
accordance with previous training or experience.
- Ensures requirements and specifications of university or
outside agencies are met by monitoring and complying with
reporting requirements and opening or closing accounts as
- Controls small petty cash fund; authorizes disbursement and
fund replenishment; prepares necessary entries.
- Contacts department personnel, account representatives or
other appropriate personnel regularly to resolve problems; keeps
all parties informed and serves as a reference source; composes
correspondence of technical nature pertaining to assignments.
- May authorize the purchase of equipment, supplies and
services within defined limits.
- May prepare student personnel payroll action requests.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of accounting and bookkeeping practices and
- Knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles and
- Skill in maintaining and reconciling accounting and
- Skill in both verbal and written communication.
years' related accounting experience; OR, Associate's degree in
Business Administration or related field AND one year of related
accounting experience; OR, Any equivalent combination of experience
and/or education from which comparable knowledge, skills and
abilities have been achieved.
Next: Accounts Payable Manager Job Description