Accounting Manager Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose of Classification:
Performs professional accounting activities for specialized, complex
and/or functional areas requiring the expert knowledge and
professional application of accounting principles, practices and
techniques in accordance with industry standards, current laws and
university policy. Manages resources of assigned areas to accomplish
goals and objectives and supervises lower level professional
accountants and other staff for work of considerable technical
fifth in a series of five classifications. It is distinguished from
the Accountant Principal in that incumbents work at a higher level
of expertise and experience, and are less subject to higher
technical supervision, and have full responsibility for the
management of a permanent operating unit or sub-unit.
Examples of Duties:
- Supervises activities of subordinates.
- Plans, directs, organizes and schedules the activities of
one or more specialized accounting functions.
- Analyzes, develops and documents accounting and cost
procedures and controls related to assigned tasks.
- Researches and evaluates pertinent professional and related
legal literature to establish and/or recommend changes to
accounting procedures and operations.
- Provides operating cost visibility, direction and
consultation to university officials relative to fiscal
planning, control, and expending of university assets.
- Prepares and/or directs the preparation of special
statistical reports, detailed cost accounting information,
surveys or analyses of a complex and difficult nature for
- Provides internal/external training both orally and in
writing on accounting systems, procedures and practices.
- Interprets various accounting data, analyzes reports and
recommends and/or initiates actions to be taken.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of accounting principles, practices and
- Knowledge and skill in supervisory practices and principles.
- Knowledge of computerized accounting systems and
applications to include main frame terminals/ personal
computers, general software applications and keyboard facility.
- Skill in performing detailed and complex numerical
computations and reports.
- Skill in both verbal and written communication.
Bachelor's Degree in Accounting or a related field and five years of
professional accounting experience; OR, Nine years of professional
accounting experience; OR, Any equivalent combination of experience
and/or education from which comparable knowledge, skills and
abilities have been achieved.
Next: Accounting Specialist Job Description