Accounting Assistant Duties and Responsibilities
Purpose of Classification:
Performs routine and repetitive clerical accounting and bookkeeping
duties following established procedures to accomplish duties. Advice
and assistance are readily available and difficult or unusual
problems are usually referred to supervisor.
first in a series of three classifications. It is distinguished from
the Accounting Assistant Senior classification in that incumbents
typically are supervised closely and are not required to
independently make decisions or judgments. Tasks are typically
narrow in scope and incumbent follows specific and detailed clerical
Examples of Duties:
- Maintains and makes necessary adjustments to various records
and/or logs such as journals, payroll/ time reports, or property
- Verifies amounts and codes on various forms for accuracy.
- Sorts documents and posts debits/credits to proper account.
Balances entries and makes necessary corrections.
- Verifies statement items and totals with department records.
- Reconciles simple bank statements or department records.
- Makes and checks necessary calculations.
- Answers inquiries regarding work being performed.
- Prepares forms or encodes materials for data input.
- Prepares or checks invoices, requisitions and other
documents for processing; encodes and obtains approval when
- Compiles routine numerical information for report purposes
by hand or by running routine recurring reports on internal
- Perform clerical duties such as sorting mail, filing and
typing, operates variety of general office equipment.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of bookkeeping practices and principles.
- Knowledge of basic business math.
- Skill in maintaining accounting or bookkeeping records.
- Skill in both verbal and written communication.
year clerical/accounting related experience; OR, Any equivalent
combination of experience and/or education from which comparable
knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved.
Next: Accounting Assistant Senior Job Description